Thursday, July 21, 2011

Popsicle Sticks (usage in the classroom)

I have a confession to make. 
Thanks to pinterest, I am slightly addicted to using Popsicle sticks in the classroom.
My use of them this prior year was very simple but I wanted to spice them up a bit.

My students are given a number at the beginning of the year.  It goes on their desk and is a reference for how I display test scores, grades, call them to line up, etc.  I have a can of popsicle sticks on my teacher computer cart that has their numbers at the top.  Whenever we are doing an activity where I want to illicit a response I use the sticks to randomly call on students to answer questions, come up to the board to complete a problem, or provide a closure to the lesson.  I also use the system for randomly picking buddy pairs and cooperative groups.  It works wonders.

So I mixed up a batch of these bad boys for this school year;
back side
fun and funky

front side with student numbers

 the sticks displayed
 aren't they super cute?


my fly pot. It's for sale here: FLY in the ohlovelyoil shop

Next up:...sight word chant sticks. 
Found them on pinterest



how stinking cute are these? If you follow the link to the blog which will take you to GrowingKinders, you to can scoop this freebie.  I knew these sticks would be a great addition to my word study lesson plans and activities and the kid will love these.

All you need is the free print outs from growing kinders, Popsicle sticks, nd some good ole modge podge. 
I decided to paint my sticks because well ...I'm craftastic like that. 

Here's how mine turned out:


 I am not going to use this jar but i thought it was cute to display them in.
 look at that colorful tip goodness

 front side of the stick has the name of the chant/activity

back side describes it:)

I have some more ideas (at least 3 more) that I am going to be making and will post those when finished.

In the meantime you should also check out 4th grade frolics and see her multiple choice sticks she made with Popsicle sticks. 

now off you gooooooooooooooooo to be inspired.  

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug! You're sticks are too cute!!! Glad your a new creative contributor too:) Will be fun crafting with you:)))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Just saw your Etsy shop!! Love!! Will have to be placing an order soon:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these ideas! Thanks ladies! I'm off to follow your pinterests! Miss B, Busy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tara: yaay for fellow crafters and yaay for finding my etsy store:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Alysia: uh oh you might never make it back from the land of pinterest now. lol. so addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found you thru teaching in high heels and am now a follower! Would love for you to check out my blog at mysecondgradejournal.blogspot.com

    Mrs. Shepherd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you are CRAFTY!!! I never ever ever thought of making my sticks fun like that. I can't wait to start!!!!!!! So glad I found you. I'm your newest follower! :)
    Kristin
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kristin: thanks. I couldn't handle the plain jane sticks. As a craft-astic person, I had to give them a makeover. HAppy crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I found you through the blog mixer party! I am a newbie blogger and am now a follower of yours! Check out my blog!

    http://californiaenglishteacher.blogspot.com

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete